Friday, January 7, 2011

Super Nerds

I have to admit that I am a nerd.  I like to talk about compositions and orientations of fatty acids.  I have a favorite solvent.  I wear a lab coat and safety goggles when I cook (that's chemistry, too, doncha know).  However, I am not even close to a super nerd and I can prove this because you cannot see my socks when I walk. 

In the beginning of November, I attended a scanning electron microscope workshop dealing with mainly trace analysis and x-ray analysis and the National Institute of Standards and Technology.  Very interesting, very cool, but usually boring to outsiders.  (Even my science teacher mother spaced out, although this is usually a normal occurence for my ADD mom.)  I am not kidding and I shit you not, when I say that, out of the 55 people in the room, I was one of only eight women, definitely the only woman under the age of 40, and probably the only one that did not 'ooh' and 'ahh' over the awesome new idea for an EDS analyzer.  Fuck, I wasn't even sure what the hell EDS was. 

Anyway, we had to break for lunch because all of the super nerds' brains needed nourishment.  While walking down the hallway, I noticed one very distinct thing - white ankle socks.  They were everywhere! 
These crazy nerds were wearing Urkel pants! 



BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

During lunch, I came to another, more mathematically centered conclusion:  A person's IQ is exponentially correlative to how much ankle is visible.  My ankles are never visible (and not just because I am short and cannot find pants that don't need to be hemmed at least two inches) so therefore, my IQ is not that high.

It was awesome. Epic.  Hilarious.  Who can concentrate on something so important as an EDS or SEM when you can create a mathematical equation to relate nerdiness to physical appearances?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Urkel how I miss you! Funny post, and although I am in no way good at science and/or math, I am reminded of all of my college professors. I happen to remember a very high ankle ratio on a certain physics professor. Totally makes sense now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style. Dslr camera price in pakistan

    ReplyDelete